We know that one might think that being a doctor is not one of the world’s coolest things to be. But at times we should it can be otherwise.
Don’t believe us? Check out our list of reasons.
10. Only doctors do this! Surgeons cut open living people to remove pathology. By doing so, many people who might otherwise expire, don’t. And frankly, no matter what your specialty, you are critical to furthering the life spans of your patients. Here’s a telling quote we saw on the medical blog more.studentdoctor.net: “I figure I save about one life a week, on average. And I’m just a psychiatrist.”
We have met 5th & 6th year Medical students from our own Universities who share similar experiences.
9. Your medical training changers your life. How self-disciplined were you before you started med school? How about now? You should ask this from a Medical Doctor. You’re also likely to be a good decision maker simply because you must do it constantly in situations where the stakes can be high. Students in our Universities have transformed them to be better people than they used to be and independent in their work.
8. You relieve more than just physical pain. Particularly in primary care, you address your patients’ vulnerability to not just disease, but also to loneliness, fear, and anxiety and even many more. True, a disturbing number are noncompliant with the help and advice you offer, but never doubt the effect you’ve had on people who survive and thrive simply because you bothered to listen.
7. Your opinions count now. Just by virtue of your profession, you earn respect in your community & else where— not as much, perhaps, as previous generations but more than you might think. You can use this power to effect real change in your community, and not just on healthcare issues. You’re smart and accomplished. People will listen to you, so pipe up.
6. Don’t worry much..you won’t be jobless Yes, the recession has hit every sector, including healthcare. But even employed docs who lose a job don’t stay out of work for long, unless they choose to. There are way more people who need doctors than there are doctors. Also have you ever heard of a Doctor who doesn’t have a job?
5. You’re free to move about the country, as a certain airline says. The physician shortage means you can decide to work virtually anywhere you want.
4. You can be your own Doctor! Of course, we think you should see a doctor — and not just the one in the mirror. But who’s a more knowledgeable patient than a physician? You can apply that knowledge to making the best decisions for your own health.
3. You’re never bored. Imagine to hear about a the kid who managed to stuff a golf ball up her nose? Physicians have great stories like this.
2. You’re always in vogue. No matter how the fashions may change, lab coats and scrubs never go out of style. Even if you’re just happy your white coat covers the coffee splash on your shirt, to the general public the coat still carries the cache of being the uniform of the folks people trust with their health — and often, their lives. Why don’t you go through our Face Book page searched as “International Medical Campus” and then see the transformation of our students.
1. You are a Game changer. Despite the specter of denials, malpractice, and overwork, you still have a job that provides a genuine service to the public, with tangible results and healthier patients. “My favorite thing,” says family physician Rob Lamberts, “is the human-to-human contact and you surely will keep a remarkable memory in a person had you changed his life in a good way.
Does this article Interest you?
If you think you have a passion & a career which makes being a medical Doctor something to raise your eye brow, then why not call us and meet us for an appointment to have a discussion about this.
Feel free to call Inthikab on 0774410782